Skill Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
This 189 visa permits an immigrant to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. It is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
To be eligible for this visa, you first need to submit an expression of interest, and then you have to be invited through Skill Select to apply. With this visa, you and your family members who have also been granted this visa can live, work and study in Australia permanently. This visa also allows getting enrolled in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses. Also, if you are eligible, you can get an Australian citizenship.
General Eligibility Criteria
To apply for a Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189), you must have submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the Department of Immigration’s SkillSelect program. If you have been invited to apply (through SkillSelect), then you can apply for the visa.
To be granted for this visa, you must:
- Be under 50 years of age
Nominate a profession that is included in the appropriate Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
- Get your skills evaluated by the relevant Australian skills assessing authority (EasyMigrate can manage this process for you)
- Have Competent English
- Meet applicable health and character requirements
The Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) is a Permanent Residency visa. This visa allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia (without restraint)
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted
- Enroll in Medicare (Australia’s universal health care scheme)
- Sponsor eligible relatives for temporary and permanent visas
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
The above requirements may not be the only requirements for your visa processing. The Australian Immigration Services often change their requirements for visas. We understand that applying for this visa without proper support and guidelines can be an arduous task for most people. To ease up, we have an excellent team of Migration Consultants who will talk to you about the entire visa process. Please make use of our one-on-one visa consultation. Please visit your nearest onshore office at Australia or India.